Friday, August 24, 2012

Watermelon, Watermelon!


Slurping down a sloppy-sweet slice of watermelon is the perfect end of summer pastime. Who doesn't love a good watermelon toss or seed-spitting contest? Being the oldest in my family, I was expert at beaning (rather, seeding) my little brother and sister during watermelon season! However, I never participated in the toss. I viewed it as unnecessary cruelty.

The big question during this lovely time of year is, How do you pick the perfect watermelon? Contrary to popular belief, thumping is the least effective way to determine ripeness. I know what you're thinking: "Blasphemy!"

Don't blame me. I'm just the messenger, and a recovering melon thumper.

Now, you ask, "What to do? Whaaaat toooo doooo?!"

I have the answer in three easy steps. I like to call it "Melonistics."

1. Look at the melon. It should be firm, symmetrical and damage-free. Minor scratches are fine, just keep an eye out for major bruises and scarring. A good, thick rind is what protects the summery-luscious contents inside!



2. Pick it up. The ripest melons have the most water-hence, WATERmelon. And, water weighs approximately 7 pounds per gallon, so your watermelon should be heavier than it looks.



3. Turn it over and check out it's underside. A ripe watermelon should have a creamy yellow bottom. This is called the "ground spot" that comes from lounging in the garden soaking up the sunshine. White and greenish are NOT creamy yellow! This is a sign your watermelon was picked too soon and may not be as ripe as it should be.


If, after these three easy steps, you insist on thumping your melon like a bongo drum. 
You go right ahead!!







No comments:

Post a Comment