Friday, August 10, 2012

When I grow up...


In the second grade at Saint Joseph's Lutheran School, I was given construction paper, material scraps, cotton balls, feathers and glue in order to describe my desired career choice. Once finished, all the children would have the opportunity to share their artwork and dreams with the rest of the class.

The task was done, and one by one, the dutiful little children came before the class and shared:

Policeman
Fireman
Nurse
Doctor
Teacher
Fireman
Teacher
Nurse
Ziegfield Follies Girl
Teacher
Fireman
Nurse
Policeman
Veterinarian
Doctor

Guess who got a note sent home?

What does this have to do with opening a business? Moxie. You gotta have it! Because, it takes moxie to face a challenge, risk failure and say, "If I'm gonna do this right-I'm gonna have to do it BIG!" 

Do I ever get nervous? Stressed? Yup. Do I ever wake up in the middle of the night thinking about what I need to do, or what I didn't do, or how the money isn't adding up? Yup. Do I walk into my store in the morning with a cup of coffee, glad to be there-EVERY MORNING?

Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment